I recently sewed three copies of V-neck linen jersey tops using Fujiko top pattern from Tamanegi-kobo. I made one with a blue fabric first, and realized that it would be nice to have another one in a different pretty color as I found the candy colored top very useful.
By the way, the pattern Fujiko always makes great tops for me. The pattern construction in the shoulders of it is very clever, and I don't need shoulder adjustments that I normally need to apply to most top patterns. I have proportionally narrow shoulders with a proportionally bulky upper torso and arms, and if I choose my size for jersey tops looking at the bust measurements I mostly need to grade the shoulders narrower, to make myself look neater around my shoulders. Fujiko has similar sleeves to raglan ones construction-wise. However, it looks like having neat set-in sleeves in the front view because of the unique curves in the shoulder seams. This type of shoulder construction is very permissive and allows me to fit my shoulders perfectly in the garments without pattern alterations or a careful selection of suitable jersey fabric. You may like to have a look at the technical drawings of the pattern here, and my first blog post for the pattern with a few photos here, if you are interested.
(additional notes 31/March/2014 : Fujiko pattern calls for 4way stretch jersey as recommended fabric, but it is so probably because the pattern is originally for a bodysuit. Most jerseys are OK for making a top with the pattern, as long as I am concerned. )
So, I love Fujiko. I felt I needed one more in another color after the second one, again. Lastly I sewed the pink one. I'm sure I'd have loved making more if I had more of the same fabrics in different candy colors. But it had to be stopped because of the lack of my resource. Three is a good number for everything, anyway!
By the way, I applied those V-neck bindings by a simple method that you can watch here. I baste a small portion of "V" area using straight stitches in the shape first and then attach the whole strip with overlock stitches. (In the video, straight stitches are used for attaching the whole strip but I prefer using my 4-thread serger except the basting.) Never forget to put a small patch of interfacing as a reinforcement on the wrong side at "V", in case you'd like to have a first try.
I wish you a very happy week!
|I also finished a pair of green pants and I'll make one more in light blue very soon :)|