Friday, August 30, 2013

Sloppy Josephine Tee

This is actually a wearable muslin for an important project. I have a goal and would love to achieve it.


***
Story begins with a very ordinary off white sweater. I have loved this cotton-cashmere sweater in off white for years and years,


 and I've been always afraid of its decay as I am so in love with it.

That said, one month ago I suddenly realized that I would need to gain the ability to clone the sweater instead of being afraid of living without it. I am not able to knit this high gauge thing, but the idea is that I may be able to sew it, yes, sew it, why didn't I think of it? If it is possible to produce clones, it can give me an ever lasting secure feeling that I am practically never losing THE white sweater, yahoo!
I checked and found some patterns for raglan sleeved pullovers and decided to give a try with Sloppy Josephine Tee pattern from Papercut patterns. They provide free shipping, worldwide, so I didn't hesitate too much about ordering the paper pattern, although it was a bit more pricy than I usually spend on other simple patterns.

According to the size chart, I am between sizeXS and sizeS, and I chose sizeXS for my first experiment. I narrowed neckline a bit by applying a slightly shorter neckband, shortened the length at the bottom hem, added a bottom hem band, and altered the neckline to V shape as my final plan calls for V-neck. I didn't apply any change in terms of sizing, because I wanted to see how it would originally fit on me.

Overall and in the end, I think it fits on me very well in the chosen size. The only thing I noticed was that the sleeves were designed narrower than I had imagined. I think it would be better to consider to choose one larger size for sleeves when the fabric doesn't stretch very well, at least for me (as I tend to choose smaller size when I have no clue.) They aren't very very narrow, but I think I'd better mention it here because this may be quite true for many of you too. We can narrow down the width of sleeves most of the time but we can't widen the pieces of fabric parts very easily, I hope you know what I mean.

Of course, the background wall got in focus as usual...

I'm happy with my result and I think the pattern is pretty promising!
I especially love the neckline, which looks quite similar to what I want. I'm going to add more alterations to it and hopefully get the clones in near future :)  Now I have to get some quality jersey/knit for making imitation of knitted garments. Meanwhile, I enjoy this comfy top as it is pretty wearable and very cute!



Happy sewing to you all!

Take care!

Love,
yoshimi

=====
Pattern: Sloppy Josephine Tee from Papercut patterns
neckline altered to V-neck and also narrowed a bit, length shortened, and applied a folded hem band.
Fabric: linen jersey, barely stretchy, thin, shiny, slightly sheer, and rose pink.
=====

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful choice of fabric! The color suits you perfectly. On the other hand I don't like the price of the pattern, it looks great but is too much for my budget even with free s&h. I prefer to buy either burdastyle or "big four" patterns on sale at my local fabric store. I understand the indie pattern makers have to make a living, but sometimes the pricing is out of reach for many sewers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love your version of this pattern and would like to make one similar with linen knit I just purchased from Marcy Tilton. Could you please describe or show us the details of how you modified this pattern? I would truly appreciate it!

    Karen from Hawaii

    p.s. Do you use a serger to sew on the bands? Or just a zigzag stitch on a sewing machine? I am debating whether to get a serger as my space is limited and would rather not get one if I can achieve a professional finish like yours without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thank you for your comment! As for the modifications, 1) I cut the length at the hem and added a hip band in an exactly same way as the sleeve cuffs were attached. The length of the hip band would be 80 ~ 90% of the hemline, but of course it depends on the fabric. 2) I shortened my neck band by about 1 inch and also made V-neck corner at center front. You can see the view of inside of this garment here as well.
      And lastly, I used my serger for it except the neck band attachment. I totally believe in the usefulness of sergers. If you have a plan for getting one sometime in the future, I'd recommend getting it at this moment. Hope it helps!

      Delete
    2. Ooops, I forgot the link!
      http://photomaisonette.blogspot.jp/2013/08/blog-post_28.html

      Delete
    3. Nice work! You make such professional looking garments so I am often curious as to how you construct them. Thank you so much for sharing! Karen

      Delete
    4. Hello Yoshimi!

      I wanted to comment on your Sept 7 post showing your beautifully lit and neat workspace but somehow my comments aren't showing as I type so I am commenting here.

      Prompted by your posts, I ended my wavering and just purchased the Babylock Evolution so now will be able to serge and coverstitch!

      It is an expensive investment, 3x more than my wonderful 37 year old Bernina 830 sewing machine but I expect that I will be happiest with an easy to use and high performing serger.

      Thanks for helping to end my 3 month old dilemma. I am excited and looking forward to expanding the range of what I can sew!

      Aloha,
      Karen

      Delete
    5. Hello Karen!
      I'm so happy for you about your new serger! I know it's a big investment, indeed, but I'm sure you'll enjoy your sewing with it even more! Sergers really do help you expanding your world of self-clothing.
      Congratulations on your new member of "team sewing"!
      yoshimi

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful project! I love that you played with the sleeve and hip band, too. The neckline is extremely flattering as well. Everything is in perfect proportion (length of sleeves, length of overall garment). You really rock this top -- can't wait to see your various versions. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very cute, and looks gorgeous on you. I really love the neckline :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely cute. It looks beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi enjoying your blog came here from Carolyn's I don't understand why you don't just draft up a pattern from the top you love then it will be the same shape, fabric then becomes the challenge but apparently japan has amazing fabrics. Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, thank you for your visit, I'm glad that you enjoy my blog! In regard to drafting up a sewing pattern to get a similar garment to certain knitted garment, I have found it quite difficult for me for many years (before this sweater). I mean, it seems there are usually a lot of decreases and increases of stitches in particular parts of a knitted garment, and I find it difficult to recreate its shape by sewing flat jersey fabric pieces that are traced out. That's why I didn't have any idea for using my sweater as a template in the beginning. But I finally noticed that I can look for a certain pattern that would give similar shape in sewn garment. I hope my writing make sense!

      Delete
  7. I can see why you had to replace this top. It's very pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!!